Bit is an electronic signal that denotes a zero or a one; the smallest unit of representation in a computer. It is the smallest unit of data in a computer. It is represented by a 1 (to indicate the presence of an electronic signal) or a 0 (to indicate the absence of an electronic signal).
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- 3d sing. pr. of Bid, for biddeth.
- of Bite
- Fig.: Anything which curbs or restrains.
- A part of anything, such as may be bitten off or taken into the mouth; a morsel; a bite. Hence: A small piece of anything; a little; a mite.
- Somewhat; something, but not very great.
- A tool for boring, of various forms and sizes, usually turned by means of a brace or bitstock. See Bitstock.
- The part of a key which enters the lock and acts upon the bolt and tumblers.
- The cutting iron of a plane.
- In the Southern and Southwestern States, a small silver coin (as the real) formerly current; commonly, one worth about 12 1/2 cents; also, the sum of 12 1/2 cents.
More from this Section
- Very high-level languages
Very high-level languages, also called 4GLs (fourth-generation computer languages), began ...
- Work-group Information System (WIS)
Work-group Information System (WIS) is a system designed to support group decision ...
- Local Bus
Local Bus gives peripherals direct access to the PCs CPU rather than having their signals ...
Semiconductor refers to chip that is made up of several thousands of transistors fused ...
File refers to collection of records of the same type grouped together. ...