Bit is an electronic signal that denotes a zero or a one; the smallest unit of representation in a computer. It is the smallest unit of data in a computer. It is represented by a 1 (to indicate the presence of an electronic signal) or a 0 (to indicate the absence of an electronic signal).
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- 3d sing. pr. of Bid, for biddeth.
- of Bite
- Fig.: Anything which curbs or restrains.
- A part of anything, such as may be bitten off or taken into the mouth; a morsel; a bite. Hence: A small piece of anything; a little; a mite.
- Somewhat; something, but not very great.
- A tool for boring, of various forms and sizes, usually turned by means of a brace or bitstock. See Bitstock.
- The part of a key which enters the lock and acts upon the bolt and tumblers.
- The cutting iron of a plane.
- In the Southern and Southwestern States, a small silver coin (as the real) formerly current; commonly, one worth about 12 1/2 cents; also, the sum of 12 1/2 cents.
More from this Section
- Twisted Pair
A twisted pair consists of two insulated strands of copper wire, twisted together. When ...
- Production systems
Production system is a subset of manufacturing information systems pertaining directly ...
- Common carrier
Common carrier is a company that furnishes voice and data communication services both ...
- Scalar principle
Scalar principle is the principle of organization that authority and responsibility should ...
- Derived information
Derived information is a function of an EIS that allows managers to find the cause or ...