Channel refers to any conduit along which data can be transmitted. It is the part of telecommunications system that constitutes the link between message source and message destination. Telecommunications channels are identified according to transmission rate, transmission mode, and transmission direction.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The deeper part of a river, harbor, strait, etc., where the main current flows, or which affords the best and safest passage for vessels.
- A strait, or narrow sea, between two portions of lands; as, the British Channel.
- That through which anything passes; means of passing, conveying, or transmitting; as, the news was conveyed to us by different channels.
- A gutter; a groove, as in a fluted column.
- Flat ledges of heavy plank bolted edgewise to the outside of a vessel, to increase the spread of the shrouds and carry them clear of the bulwarks.
- To course through or over, as in a channel.
More from this Section
- Common carrier
Common carrier is a company that furnishes voice and data communication services both ...
- Formal system
Formal system is a system that is designed and developed using a set of well-established ...
- Keypad-response system
Keypad-response system is a type of GDSS in which group members use hand-held keypads ...
- Personal Information Systems (PIS)
Personal Information Systems (PIS) are those that support the information needs of individual ...
Spreadsheets refer to programs that are used for applications involving numerical analysis, ...