Channel refers to any conduit along which data can be transmitted. It is the part of telecommunications system that constitutes the link between message source and message destination. Telecommunications channels are identified according to transmission rate, transmission mode, and transmission direction.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The deeper part of a river, harbor, strait, etc., where the main current flows, or which affords the best and safest passage for vessels.
- A strait, or narrow sea, between two portions of lands; as, the British Channel.
- That through which anything passes; means of passing, conveying, or transmitting; as, the news was conveyed to us by different channels.
- A gutter; a groove, as in a fluted column.
- Flat ledges of heavy plank bolted edgewise to the outside of a vessel, to increase the spread of the shrouds and carry them clear of the bulwarks.
- To course through or over, as in a channel.
More from this Section
- Very high-level languages
Very high-level languages, also called 4GLs (fourth-generation computer languages), began ...
Semiconductor refers to chip that is made up of several thousands of transistors fused ...
- Goal Seeking
Goal Seeking is the process of determining the input values necessary to achieve a certain ...
- Payroll systems
Payroll systems capture and process data related to wages and salaries including federal ...
- Hand-held computer
Hand-held computer is a computer that is smaller than notebooks and used primarily to ...