Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Source Document
The documents that are generated at the source where a transaction occurs are called source ...
- Leased lines
Leased lines refer to those telephone lines that are leased to organizations for its exclusive ...
Channel refers to any conduit along which data can be transmitted. It is the part of telecommunications ...
Semiconductor refers to chip that is made up of several thousands of transistors fused ...
- Cache memory
Cache memory is a type of primary memory that is designed to increase the efficiency of ...