Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
The windows refer to the operating system, developed by Microsoft, expands on the DOS ...
- Internal strategic systems
A kind of strategic information systems that are used by employees within an organization ...
Schema is a logical description of each piece of data in the database and its relationship ...
Modem is a device that converts digital signals into analog and back. An abbreviation ...
- Network architecture
Network architecture is a set of standards, or protocols, for telecommunication hardware ...