Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- File transfer protocol (fip)
File transfer protocol (fip), which was one of the first tools on the internet, allows ...
- Information system
Information system is a system that creates, processes, stores, and retrieves information. ...
- Dedicated marketing information system
A system that is dedicated exclusively to the marketing functions of an organization is ...
- Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC)
Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC) is a new technology used by the Power PC which ...
- Local Bus
Local Bus gives peripherals direct access to the PCs CPU rather than having their signals ...