Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Online transaction processing (OLTP)
Data are processed as they are created; since there is no time lag between data creation ...
Multiplexer is a device that performs multiplexing which is the process of transmitting ...
- Manufacturing information system
Manufacturing information system is a system that supports the manufacturing functions ...
Perception is a process by which we give meaning to our environment by organizing and ...
- Management skills
Management skills refers the ability to use knowledge, behaviors, and aptitudes to perform ...