Influence is the exercise of power through a process of persuasion.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Influence- A flowing in or upon; influx.
- Hence, in general, the bringing about of an effect, phusical or moral, by a gradual process; controlling power quietly exerted; agency, force, or tendency of any kind which the sun exerts on animal and vegetable life; the influence of education on the mind; the influence, according to astrologers,of the stars over affairs.
- Power or authority arising from elevated station, excelence of character or intellect, wealth, etc.; reputation; acknowledged ascendency; as, he is a man of influence in the community.
2. Influence- To control or move by power, physical or moral; to affect by gentle action; to exert an influence upon; to modify, bias, or sway; to move; to persuade; to induce.
Share it: Cite
More from this Section
- De facto segregation
De facto segregation is the separation of social groups in fact, although not by law. ...
Stratification is a structured ranking of entire groups of people that perpetuates unequal ...
- Vested interests
Vested interests are those people or groups who will suffer in the event of social change, ...
- Collective behavior
Collective behavior is in the view of sociologist Neil Smelser, the relatively spontaneous ...
- Newly industrialized countries
Newly industrialized countries is the nation-states (such as South Korea) that have recently ...