Meaning of 'shoe' (Webster Dictionary)
- A covering for the human foot, usually made of leather,
having a thick and somewhat stiff sole and a lighter top. It differs
from a boot on not extending so far up the leg.
- Anything resembling a shoe in form, position, or use.
- A plate or rim of iron nailed to the hoof of an animal to
defend it from injury.
- A band of iron or steel, or a ship of wood, fastened to the
bottom of the runner of a sleigh, or any vehicle which slides on the
- A drag, or sliding piece of wood or iron, placed under the
wheel of a loaded vehicle, to retard its motion in going down a hill.
- The part of a railroad car brake which presses upon the wheel
to retard its motion.
- A trough-shaped or spout-shaped member, put at the bottom of
the water leader coming from the eaves gutter, so as to throw the water
off from the building.
- The trough or spout for conveying the grain from the hopper
to the eye of the millstone.
- An inclined trough in an ore-