A check is a written order signed by the depositor directing the bank to pay a specified sum of money to a designated recipient. There are three parties to a check: (1) the maker (or drawer) who issues the check, (2) the bank (or payer) on which the check is drawn, and (3) the payee to whom the check is payable. A check is a negotiable instrument that one party can transfer to another party by endorsement.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- A condition of interrupted or impeded progress; arrest; stop; delay; as, to hold an enemy in check.
- Whatever arrests progress, or limits action; an obstacle, guard, restraint, or rebuff.
- A mark, certificate, or token, by which, errors may be prevented, or a thing or person may be identified; as, checks placed against items in an account; a check given for baggage; a return check on a railroad.
- A written order directing a bank or banker to pay money as therein stated. See Bank check, below.
- A woven or painted design in squares resembling the patten of a checkerboard; one of the squares of such a design; also, cloth having such a figure.
- The forsaking by a hawk of its proper game to follow other birds.
- Small chick or crack.
- To clash or interfere.
- To act as a curb or restraint.
- To crack or gape open, as wood in drying; or to crack in small checks, as varnish, paint, etc.
- To turn, when in pursuit of proper game, and fly after other birds.
- To put a sudden restraint upon; to stop temporarily; to hinder; to repress; to curb.
- To verify, to guard, to make secure, by means of a mark, token, or other check; to distinguish by a check; to put a mark against (an item) after comparing with an original or a counterpart in order to secure accuracy; as, to check an account; to check baggage.
- To chide, rebuke, or reprove.
- To slack or ease off, as a brace which is too stiffly extended.
- To make checks or chinks in; to cause to crack; as, the sun checks timber.
More from this Section
- Modified accelerated cost recovery system (MACRS)
Many corporations use straight-line in their financial statements to maximize net income. ...
- Merchandise purchases budget
Merchandise purchases budget is the estimated cost of goods to be purchased by a merchandiser ...
- Sales journal
Sales journal is a special journal that records all sales of merchandise on account. Cash ...
- Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA)
The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) is another feature of the federal Social Security ...
- Trading Securities
Companies hold trading securities with the intention of selling them in a short period ...