System is a collection of interrelated parts that work together in harmony to achieve one or more common purposes.
A system normally has subsystems and functions within an environment.
Some characteristics of systems:
- Every system has a purpose.
- Most systems have five components: input, processes, output, feedback, and control.
- Systems are made up of subsystems, whose goals are referred to as subgoals.
- The goals of a system are more important the subgoals of its subsystems.
- Subsystems are guided both by their individual goals and by their relationships with other subsystems within the system.
- Subsystems must work together in harmony to achieve system goals.
System— A functionally, physically, and/or behaviorally related group of regularly interacting or interdependent elements; that group of elements forming a unified whole.