Meaning of 'abate'
- Abatement. - To beat down; to overthrow.
- To bring down or reduce from a higher to a lower state,
number, or degree; to lessen; to diminish; to contract; to moderate; to
cut short; as, to abate a demand; to abate pride, zeal, hope.
- To deduct; to omit; as, to abate something from a price.
- To blunt.
- To reduce in estimation; to deprive.
- To bring entirely down or put an end to; to do away with;
as, to abate a nuisance, to abate a writ.
- To diminish; to reduce. Legacies are liable to be abated
entirely or in proportion, upon a deficiency of assets.
- To decrease, or become less in strength or violence; as,
pain abates, a storm abates.
- To be defeated, or come to naught; to fall through; to
fail; as, a writ abates.