Meaning of 'corona' (Webster Dictionary)
- A crown or garland bestowed among the Romans as a reward
for distinguished services.
- The projecting part of a Classic cornice, the under side of
which is cut with a recess or channel so as to form a drip. See Illust.
- The upper surface of some part, as of a tooth or the skull;
- The shelly skeleton of a sea urchin.
- A peculiar luminous appearance, or aureola, which surrounds
the sun, and which is seen only when the sun is totally eclipsed by the
- An inner appendage to a petal or a corolla, often forming a
special cup, as in the daffodil and jonquil.
- Any crownlike appendage at the top of an organ.
- A circle, usually colored, seen in peculiar states of the
atmosphere around and close to a luminous body, as the sun or moon.
- A peculiar phase of the aurora borealis, formed by the
concentration or convergence of luminous beams around the point in the
heavens indicated by the direction of the dipping needle.
- A crown or circlet suspended from the roof or vaulting of
churches, to hold tapers lighted on solemn occasions. It is sometimes
formed of double or triple circlets, arranged pyramidically. Called
also corona lucis.
- A character [/] called the pause or hold.