Meaning of 'gun' (Webster Dictionary)
- of Gin - A weapon which throws or propels a missile to a distance; any
firearm or instrument for throwing projectiles by the explosion of
gunpowder, consisting of a tube or barrel closed at one end, in which
the projectile is placed, with an explosive charge behind, which is
ignited by various means. Muskets, rifles, carbines, and fowling pieces
are smaller guns, for hand use, and are called small arms. Larger guns
are called cannon, ordnance, fieldpieces, carronades, howitzers, etc.
See these terms in the Vocabulary.
- A piece of heavy ordnance; in a restricted sense, a cannon.
- Violent blasts of wind. - To practice fowling or hunting small game; -- chiefly in
participial form; as, to go gunning.
Meaning of 'gun' (Princeton's WordNet)
- a pedal that controls the throttle valve
- the discharge of a firearm as signal or as a salute in military ceremonies
Example in sentence:
- a twenty gun salute;
- two runners started before the gun