Meaning of 'symbol' (Webster Dictionary)
- A visible sign or representation of an idea; anything which
suggests an idea or quality, or another thing, as by resemblance or by
convention; an emblem; a representation; a type; a figure; as, the lion
is the symbol of courage; the lamb is the symbol of meekness or
- Any character used to represent a quantity, an operation, a
relation, or an abbreviation.
- An abstract or compendium of faith or doctrine; a creed, or
a summary of the articles of religion.
- That which is thrown into a common fund; hence, an
appointed or accustomed duty.
- Share; allotment.
- An abbreviation standing for the name of an element and
consisting of the initial letter of the Latin or New Latin name, or
sometimes of the initial letter with a following one; as, C for carbon,
Na for sodium (Natrium), Fe for iron (Ferrum), Sn for tin (Stannum), Sb
for antimony (Stibium), etc. See the list of names and symbols under
Element. - To symbolize.