The breasts are specialized accessory glands of the skin that secrete milk. They are present in both sexes. Inmales and immature females, they are similar in structure. The nipples are small and surrounded by a colored area of skin called the areola.
The breast tissue consists of a system of ducts embedded in connective tissue that does not extend beyond the margin of the areola.
The breasts, consisting of secretory glands, superficial fascia, and overlying skin, are in the pectoral region on each side of the anterior thoracic wall.
Vessels, lymphatics, and nerves associated with the breast are as:
branches from the internal thoracic arteries and veins perforate the anterior chest wall on each side of the sternum to supply anterior aspects of the thoracic wall. Those branches associated mainly with the second to fourth intercostal
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Either one of the protuberant glands, situated on the front of the chest or thorax in the female of man and of some other mammalia, in which milk is secreted for the nourishment of the young; a mamma; a teat.
- Anything resembling the human breast, or bosom; the front or forward part of anything; as, a chimney breast; a plow breast; the breast of a hill.
- The face of a coal working.
- The front of a furnace.
- The seat of consciousness; the repository of thought and self-consciousness, or of secrets; the seat of the affections and passions; the heart.
- The power of singing; a musical voice; -- so called, probably, from the connection of the voice with the lungs, which lie within the breast.
- A torus.
More from this Section
- Renal Structure
Each kidney has a dark brown outer cortex and a light brown inner medulla. ...
- Biliary Colic
Biliary colic is usually caused by spasm of the smooth muscle of the wall of the gallbladder ...
Psychosis is a serious mental disorder that involves a failure to distinguish between ...
- cardiovascular system
- Coccygeus Muscle
This small triangular muscle arises from the spine of the ischium and is inserted into ...