Meaning of 'article' (Webster Dictionary)
- A distinct portion of an instrument, discourse, literary
work, or any other writing, consisting of two or more particulars, or
treating of various topics; as, an article in the Constitution. Hence:
A clause in a contract, system of regulations, treaty, or the like; a
term, condition, or stipulation in a contract; a concise statement; as,
articles of agreement.
- A literary composition, forming an independent portion of
a magazine, newspaper, or cyclopedia.
- Subject; matter; concern; distinct.
- A distinct part.
- A particular one of various things; as, an article of
merchandise; salt is a necessary article.
- Precise point of time; moment.
- One of the three words, a, an, the, used before nouns to
limit or define their application. A (or an) is called the indefinite
article, the the definite article.
- One of the segments of an articulated appendage.
- To formulate in articles; to set forth in distinct
- To accuse or charge by an exhibition of articles.
- To bind by articles of covenant or stipulation; as, to
article an apprentice to a mechanic. - To agree by articles; to stipulate; to bargain; to