Meaning of 'buffet' (Webster Dictionary)
- A cupboard or set of shelves, either movable or fixed at
one side of a room, for the display of plate, china, etc., a sideboard.
- A counter for refreshments; a restaurant at a railroad
station, or place of public gathering. - A blow with the hand; a slap on the face; a cuff.
- A blow from any source, or that which affects like a
blow, as the violence of winds or waves; a stroke; an adverse action;
an affliction; a trial; adversity.
- A small stool; a stool for a buffet or counter.
- To exercise or play at boxing; to strike; to smite; to
strive; to contend.
- To make one's way by blows or struggling. - To strike with the hand or fist; to box; to beat; to
cuff; to slap.
- To affect as with blows; to strike repeatedly; to strive
with or contend against; as, to buffet the billows.
- To deaden the sound of (bells) by muffling the clapper.
Meaning of 'buffet' (Princeton's WordNet)
- strike, beat repeatedly
- strike against forcefully