Meaning of 'bulb' (Webster Dictionary)
- A spheroidal body growing from a plant either above or below
the ground (usually below), which is strictly a bud, consisting of a
cluster of partially developed leaves, and producing, as it grows, a
stem above, and roots below, as in the onion, tulip, etc. It differs
from a corm in not being solid.
- A name given to some parts that resemble in shape certain
bulbous roots; as, the bulb of the aorta.
- An expansion or protuberance on a stem or tube, as the bulb
of a thermometer, which may be of any form, as spherical, cylindrical,
curved, etc. - To take the shape of a bulb; to swell.
Meaning of 'bulb' (Princeton's WordNet)
- a rounded part of a cylindrical instrument (usually at one end)
- lower or hindmost part of the brain; continuous with spinal cord; (`bulb' is an old term for medulla oblongata)
Example in sentence:
- the medulla oblongata is the most vital part of the brain because it contains centers controlling breathing and heart functioning