Meaning of 'roast' (Webster Dictionary)
- Roasted; as, roast beef. - That which is roasted; a piece of meat which has been
roasted, or is suitable for being roasted. - To cook meat, fish, etc., by heat, as before the fire or
in an oven.
- To undergo the process of being roasted. - To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to
roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having
reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand,
etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes.
- To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast
coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- To banter severely.
Meaning of 'roast' (Princeton's WordNet)
- cook with dry heat, usually in an oven
- subject to laughter or ridicule
Example in sentence:
- His former students roasted the professor at his 60th birthday;
- The satirists ridiculed the plans for a new opera house;
- The students poked fun at the inexperienced teacher