Meaning of 'sauce' (Webster Dictionary)
- A composition of condiments and appetizing ingredients eaten
with food as a relish; especially, a dressing for meat or fish or for
puddings; as, mint sauce; sweet sauce, etc.
- Any garden vegetables eaten with meat.
- Stewed or preserved fruit eaten with other food as a relish;
as, apple sauce, cranberry sauce, etc.
- Sauciness; impertinence.
- A soft crayon for use in stump drawing or in shading with
the stump. - To accompany with something intended to give a higher
relish; to supply with appetizing condiments; to season; to flavor.
- To cause to relish anything, as if with a sauce; to
tickle or gratify, as the palate; to please; to stimulate; hence, to
cover, mingle, or dress, as if with sauce; to make an application to.
- To make poignant; to give zest, flavor or interest to; to
set off; to vary and render attractive.
- To treat with bitter, pert, or tart language; to be
impudent or saucy to.