Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Dedicated marketing information system
A system that is dedicated exclusively to the marketing functions of an organization is ...
- System support software
System support software is software that supports, or facilitates the smooth and efficient ...
- Document management systems (DMS)
Document management systems (DMS) are computer-based tools that allow users to access ...
- Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) Bus
Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) Bus is the type of electronical connection used in ...
Modem is a device that converts digital signals into analog and back. An abbreviation ...