The meninges are three connective tissue coverings that surround, protect, and suspend the brain and spinal cord within the cranial cavity and vertebral canal.
Those tissue are:
- the dura mater is the thickest and most external of the coverings;
- the arachnoid mater is against the internal surface of the dura mater;
- the pia mater is adherent to the brain and spinal cord.
Between the arachnoid and pia mater is the subarachnoid space, which contains CSF.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Meninges- The three membranes that envelop the brain and spinal cord; the pia mater, dura mater, and arachnoid membrane.
Category: Medical & Health Sciences
Share it: Cite
Previous: ← Nervous Systems
Next: Appendicitis →
More from this Section
- Mental retardation
A condition characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning ...
- Mental Health Services
Mental Health Services is the diagnostic, treatment and preventive services that help ...
- Vertebral canal
The spinal cord lies within a bony canal formed by adjacent vertebrae and soft tissue ...
- Muscle atrophy
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI)
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) is a class of antidepressants that act ...