Bone is a calcified, living, connective tissue that forms the majority of the skeleton. It consists of an intercellular calcified matrix, which also contains collagen fibers, and several types of cells within the matrix.
Bones function as:
- supportive structures for the body;
- protectors of vital organs;
- reservoirs of calcium and phosphorus;
- levers on which muscles act to produce movement; and
- containers for blood-producing cells.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Bone- The hard, calcified tissue of the skeleton of vertebrate animals, consisting very largely of calcic carbonate, calcic phosphate, and gelatine; as, blood and bone.
- One of the pieces or parts of an animal skeleton; as, a rib or a thigh bone; a bone of the arm or leg; also, any fragment of bony substance. (pl.) The frame or skeleton of the body.
- Anything made of bone, as a bobbin for weaving bone lace.
- Two or four pieces of bone held between the fingers and struck together to make a kind of music.
- Whalebone; hence, a piece of whalebone or of steel for a corset.
- Fig.: The framework of anything.
2. Bone- To withdraw bones from the flesh of, as in cookery.
- To put whalebone into; as, to bone stays.
- To fertilize with bone.
- To steal; to take possession of.
- To sight along an object or set of objects, to see if it or they be level or in line, as in carpentry, masonry, and surveying.
Category: Medical & Health Sciences
Share it: Cite
Previous: ← Positron emission tomography (PET)
More from this Section
- Urinary Bladder
Urinary Bladder is a muscular, membranous, distensible reservoir that holds urine situated ...
The aorta is the main arterial trunk that delivers oxygenated blood from the left ventricle ...
Agoraphobia is a panic disorder that involves intense fear and avoidance of any place ...
The two ureters are muscular tubes that extend from the kidneys to the posterior surface ...
- Inferior Vena Cava
The inferior vena cava conveys most of the blood from the body below the diaphragm to ...