Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Document management systems (DMS)
Document management systems (DMS) are computer-based tools that allow users to access ...
- Procedural language
Procedural language is a kind of computer programming language that explains in a step-by-step ...
- Laser printer
Laser printer is a high-end computer printer, capable of printing 600 dpi or more. ...
- Data independence
Data independence is a system that lets a user access data based simply on the contents ...
- Interorganizational systems (IOS)
Systems shared by two or more companies, in the spirit of cooperation and collaboration ...