Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Laptops and Notebooks
Laptops and Notebooks are referred to those computers that are battery-operated which ...
- The main hardware components of a computer
A computer has five main components. They are the central processor, secondary storage, ...
- Input data
Input data means enter data into the database through an input device, such as a data ...
- System support software
System support software is software that supports, or facilitates the smooth and efficient ...
- Hashing algorithm
Hashing algorithm refers to a set of rules that are used to convert a unique key into ...