Decision support system (DSS) is a set of well integrated, user-friendly, computer-based tools that combine internal and external data with various decision making models to solve semi structured and unstructured problems.
Among the functions of a DSS are “what-if” analysis, model building, goal seeking and graphical analysis.
A DSS has the following characteristics:
- It facilitates semi structured and unstructured decision making by bringing together data, models, and human judgment.
- It can provide decision support for several interdependent decisions.
- It supports a wide variety of decision making processes and styles.
- It assists the decision maker to make decisions under dynamic business conditions.
- It helps the decision maker address ad hoc queries.
More from this Section
- Read-Only Memory (ROM)
Read-Only Memory (ROM) refers to nonvolatile memory that resides in the CPU and cannot ...
- The main hardware components of a computer
A computer has five main components. They are the central processor, secondary storage, ...
- Imaging software
Imaging software— programs that scan data and information and convert them into digital ...
- Dedicated marketing information system
A system that is dedicated exclusively to the marketing functions of an organization is ...
- Distributed database
Distributed database— databases distributed over single- or multi-vendor computer hardware ...