The heart is a hollow muscular organ that is somewhat pyramid shaped and lies within the pericardium in the mediastinum. It is connected at its base to the great blood vessels but otherwise lies free within the pericardium.
Heart consists of 3 layers:
1. The pericardium is a fibroserous sac that encloses the heart and the roots of the great vessels. Its function is to restrict excessive movements of the heart as a whole and to serve as a lubricated container in which the different parts of the heart can contract.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The seat of the affections or sensibilities, collectively or separately, as love, hate, joy, grief, courage, and the like; rarely, the seat of the understanding or will; -- usually in a good sense, when no epithet is expressed; the better or lovelier part of our nature; the spring of all our actions and purposes; the seat of moral life and character; the moral affections and character itself; the individual disposition and character; as, a good, tender, loving, bad, hard, or selfish heart.
- The nearest the middle or center; the part most hidden and within; the inmost or most essential part of any body or system; the source of life and motion in any organization; the chief or vital portion; the center of activity, or of energetic or efficient action; as, the heart of a country, of a tree, etc.
- Courage; courageous purpose; spirit.
- Vigorous and efficient activity; power of fertile production; condition of the soil, whether good or bad.
- That which resembles a heart in shape; especially, a roundish or oval figure or object having an obtuse point at one end, and at the other a corresponding indentation, -- used as a symbol or representative of the heart.
- One of a series of playing cards, distinguished by the figure or figures of a heart; as, hearts are trumps.
- Vital part; secret meaning; real intention.
- A term of affectionate or kindly and familiar address.
More from this Section
- Mental Health
Mental Health is the condition of being mentally and emotionally sound and well adjusted, ...
Therapy is the treatment of physical, mental or behavioral problems that is meant to cure ...
- Nuclear medicine imaging
Nuclear medicine involves imaging using gamma rays, which are another type of electromagnetic ...
- Biliary Colic
Biliary colic is usually caused by spasm of the smooth muscle of the wall of the gallbladder ...
- Coordinated Network
Coordinated Network in referring to mental health, communication and coordination among ...