The skin is the largest organ of the body. It consists of the epidermis and the dermis. The epidermis is the outer cellular layer of stratified squamous epithelium, which is avascular and varies in thickness. The dermis is a dense bed of vascular connective tissue.
The skin functions as a mechanical and permeability barrier, and as a sensory and thermoregulatory organ. It also can initiate primary immune responses.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The hide of an animal, separated from the body, whether green, dry, or tanned; especially, that of a small animal, as a calf, sheep, or goat.
- A vessel made of skin, used for holding liquids. See Bottle, 1.
- The bark or husk of a plant or fruit; the exterior coat of fruits and plants.
- That part of a sail, when furled, which remains on the outside and covers the whole.
- The covering, as of planking or iron plates, outside the framing, forming the sides and bottom of a vessel; the shell; also, a lining inside the framing.
- To produce, in recitation, examination, etc., the work of another for one's own, or to use in such exercise cribs, memeoranda, etc., which are prohibited.
- To cover with skin, or as with skin; hence, to cover superficially.
- To strip of money or property; to cheat.
More from this Section
- Acute Cholecystitis
Acute cholecystitis produces discomfort in the right upper quadrant or epigastrium. ...
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a medical test to make pictures of structures and ...
- Personality Disorders
Personality Disorders is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates ...
- Retroperitoneal Space
- Special Education
Special Education - In Texas, education that ensures all children with disabilities have ...