Stigma is a symbol (or a negative social label) of disgrace that affects a person's social identity.
Stigma is a mark of shame or discredit. A sign of social unacceptability.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Stigma- A mark made with a burning iron; a brand.
- Any mark of infamy or disgrace; sign of moral blemish; stain or reproach caused by dishonorable conduct; reproachful characterization.
- That part of a pistil which has no epidermis, and is fitted to receive the pollen. It is usually the terminal portion, and is commonly somewhat glutinous or viscid. See Illust. of Stamen and of Flower.
- A small spot, mark, scar, or a minute hole; -- applied especially to a spot on the outer surface of a Graafian follicle, and to spots of intercellular substance in scaly epithelium, or to minute holes in such spots.
- A red speck upon the skin, produced either by the extravasation of blood, as in the bloody sweat characteristic of certain varieties of religious ecstasy, or by capillary congestion, as in the case of drunkards.
- One of the external openings of the tracheae of insects, myriapods, and other arthropods; a spiracle.
- One of the apertures of the pulmonary sacs of arachnids. See Illust. of Scorpion.
- One of the apertures of the gill of an ascidian, and of Amphioxus.
- A point so connected by any law whatever with another point, called an index, that as the index moves in any manner in a plane the first point or stigma moves in a determinate way in the same plane.
- Marks believed to have been supernaturally impressed upon the bodies of certain persons in imitation of the wounds on the crucified body of Christ. See def. 5, above.
Category: Medical & Health Sciences, Sociology
Share it: Cite
More from this Section
- Residential Treatment
Residential Treatment is the intensive and comprehensive psychiatric treatment in a campus-like ...
Homophobia is the fear of and prejudice against homosexuality. ...
- Mental illness
Mental illness is a disorder of the4 brain that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, ...
Sampling is the taking a small part of a population in order to draw inferences from the ...
Visitability is the accessibility of private homes to visitors with disabilities. ...