Meaning of 'neuter' (Webster Dictionary)
- Neither the one thing nor the other; on neither side;
- Having a form belonging more especially to words which are
not appellations of males or females; expressing or designating that
which is of neither sex; as, a neuter noun; a neuter termination; the
- Intransitive; as, a neuter verb.
- Having no generative organs, or imperfectly developed ones;
sexless. See Neuter, n., 3. - A person who takes no part in a contest; one who is either
indifferent to a cause or forbears to interfere; a neutral.
- A noun of the neuter gender; any one of those words which
have the terminations usually found in neuter words.
- An intransitive verb.
- An organism, either vegetable or animal, which at its
maturity has no generative organs, or but imperfectly developed ones,
as a plant without stamens or pistils, as the garden Hydrangea; esp.,
one of the imperfectly developed females of certain social insects, as
of the ant and the common honeybee, which perform the labors of the
community, and are called workers.