Action refers to command ordering weapon crews to prepare to fire in any direction designated by the leader.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- An act; a thing done; a deed; an enterprise. (pl.): Habitual deeds; hence, conduct; behavior; demeanor.
- The event or connected series of events, either real or imaginary, forming the subject of a play, poem, or other composition; the unfolding of the drama of events.
- Movement; as, the horse has a spirited action.
- Effective motion; also, mechanism; as, the breech action of a gun.
- Any one of the active processes going on in an organism; the performance of a function; as, the action of the heart, the muscles, or the gastric juice.
- Gesticulation; the external deportment of the speaker, or the suiting of his attitude, voice, gestures, and countenance, to the subject, or to the feelings.
- The attitude or position of the several parts of the body as expressive of the sentiment or passion depicted.
- A suit or process, by which a demand is made of a right in a court of justice; in a broad sense, a judicial proceeding for the enforcement or protection of a right, the redress or prevention of a wrong, or the punishment of a public offense.
- A right of action; as, the law gives an action for every claim.
- A share in the capital stock of a joint-stock company, or in the public funds; hence, in the plural, equivalent to stocks.
- An engagement between troops in war, whether on land or water; a battle; a fight; as, a general action, a partial action.
- The mechanical contrivance by means of which the impulse of the player's finger is transmitted to the strings of a pianoforte or to the valve of an organ pipe.
More from this Section
- Federal service
Federal service— a term applied to National Guard members and units when called to active ...
- Logistics over-the-shore operation area
Logistics over-the-shore operation area refers to that geographic area, required to conduct ...
- Directed energy
Directed energy— An umbrella term covering technologies that relate to the production ...
- Close support
Close support refers to the action of the supporting force against targets or objectives ...
Counterdrug refers to those active measures that are taken to detect, monitor, and counter ...