Assault refers to
1. In an amphibious operation, the period of time between the arrival of the major assault forces of the amphibious task force in the objective area and the accomplishment of the amphibious task force mission.
2. To make a short, violent, but wellordered attack against a local objective, such as a gun emplacement, a fort, or a machine gun nest.
3. A phase of an airborne operation beginning with delivery by air of the assault echelon of the force into the objective area and extending through attack of assault objectives and consolidation of the initial airhead.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- A violent onset or attack with moral weapons, as words, arguments, appeals, and the like; as, to make an assault on the prerogatives of a prince, or on the constitution of a government.
- An apparently violent attempt, or willful offer with force or violence, to do hurt to another; an attempt or offer to beat another, accompanied by a degree of violence, but without touching his person, as by lifting the fist, or a cane, in a threatening manner, or by striking at him, and missing him. If the blow aimed takes effect, it is a battery.
- To make an assault upon, as by a sudden rush of armed men; to attack with unlawful or insulting physical violence or menaces.
- To attack with moral means, or with a view of producing moral effects; to attack by words, arguments, or unfriendly measures; to assail; as, to assault a reputation or an administration.
More from this Section
- Horizontal stowage
Horizontal stowage is the lateral distribution of unit equipment or categories of supplies ...
- Enemy combatant
Enemy combatant— in general, a person engaged in hostilities against the United States ...
- Critical requirement
Critical requirement is an essential condition, resource, and means for a critical capability to ...
- Analysis and production
Analysis and production— in intelligence usage, the conversion of processed information ...
- Civil-military medicine
Civil-military medicine is a discipline within operational medicine comprising public ...