Bit is an electronic signal that denotes a zero or a one; the smallest unit of representation in a computer. It is the smallest unit of data in a computer. It is represented by a 1 (to indicate the presence of an electronic signal) or a 0 (to indicate the absence of an electronic signal).
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- 3d sing. pr. of Bid, for biddeth.
- of Bite
- Fig.: Anything which curbs or restrains.
- A part of anything, such as may be bitten off or taken into the mouth; a morsel; a bite. Hence: A small piece of anything; a little; a mite.
- Somewhat; something, but not very great.
- A tool for boring, of various forms and sizes, usually turned by means of a brace or bitstock. See Bitstock.
- The part of a key which enters the lock and acts upon the bolt and tumblers.
- The cutting iron of a plane.
- In the Southern and Southwestern States, a small silver coin (as the real) formerly current; commonly, one worth about 12 1/2 cents; also, the sum of 12 1/2 cents.
More from this Section
Semiconductor refers to chip that is made up of several thousands of transistors fused ...
- CD-ROM (Compact Disc-Read-Only Memory)
CD-ROM (Compact Disc-Read-Only Memory) is a special kind of optical disc that has excellent ...
Record refers to a group of interrelated fields. A collection of records is a file. ...
- Application-dedicated software
Application-dedicated software refers to specialized or customized applications designed ...
- Information system
Information system is a system that creates, processes, stores, and retrieves information. ...