Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Nearly all business are required to obtain a U.S. employer identification number (EIN), also known as a tax identification number, which is used in filing various business tax returns. The only exception is sole proprietors who do not have employees. In this instance the sole proprietor uses his or her social security number as the tax identification number. A tax identification number can be obtained from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service by calling 800-829-4933.

Share it:  Cite

More from this Section