File refers to collection of records of the same type grouped together.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- A row of soldiers ranged one behind another; -- in contradistinction to rank, which designates a row of soldiers standing abreast; a number consisting the depth of a body of troops, which, in the ordinary modern formation, consists of two men, the battalion standing two deep, or in two ranks.
- An orderly collection of papers, arranged in sequence or classified for preservation and reference; as, files of letters or of newspapers; this mail brings English files to the 15th instant.
- The line, wire, or other contrivance, by which papers are put and kept in order.
- A roll or list.
- Course of thought; thread of narration.
- A steel instrument, having cutting ridges or teeth, made by indentation with a chisel, used for abrading or smoothing other substances, as metals, wood, etc.
- Anything employed to smooth, polish, or rasp, literally or figuratively.
- A shrewd or artful person.
- To bring before a court or legislative body by presenting proper papers in a regular way; as, to file a petition or bill.
- To put upon the files or among the records of a court; to note on (a paper) the fact date of its reception in court.
- To rub, smooth, or cut away, with a file; to sharpen with a file; as, to file a saw or a tooth.
- To smooth or polish as with a file.
- To make foul; to defile.
More from this Section
- Hand-held computer
Hand-held computer is a computer that is smaller than notebooks and used primarily to ...
- Office automation systems (OAS)
Office automation systems (OAS) are systems that are designed to increase the productivity ...
- Twisted Pair
A twisted pair consists of two insulated strands of copper wire, twisted together. When ...
Record refers to a group of interrelated fields. A collection of records is a file. ...
- Parallel processing
Parallel processing— the processing of more than one instruction at a time. Multiple ...