Posting is the procedure of transferring journal entries to the ledger accounts. This phase of the recording process accumulates the effects of journalized transaction into the individual accounts. Posting involves the following steps.
- In the ledger, enter, in the appropriate columns of the account debited, the date, journal page, and debit amount shown in the journal.
- In the reference column of the journal, write the account number to which the debit amount was posted.
- In the ledger, enter, in the appropriate columns of the account credited, the date, journal page, and credit amount shown in the journal.
- In the reference column of the journal, write the account number to which the credit amount was posted.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Posting- The act of traveling post.
- The act of transferring an account, as from the journal to the ledger.
2. Posting- of Post
Category: Accounting & Auditing
Share it: Cite
Previous: ← The ledger
More from this Section
A budget is a formal written statement of management’s plans for a specified future ...
- Owner’s equity
The ownership claim on total assets is owner’s equity. It is equal to total assets minus ...
- Escrow Disbursement
In property investment, an Escrow Disbursement is a procedure of distributing funds held ...
- Manual accounting system
Manual accounting system is a system in which someone performs each of the steps in the ...
- Margin of safety
The margin of safety is a relationship used in CVP analysis which is the difference between ...