A report is a formal document that states the business or event concerned in fine detail keeping a close focus on the necessary points.
Report means an orderly, objective message used to convey information from one organizational area to another or from one institution to another to assist in decision making or problem-solving. Reports are usually composed for publication or future research.
Definition in Education
In education, the report is the written statement or documentation prepared by the teachers of the student’s performance at school to inform the parents about their children’s progress in studies, extracurricular activities etc. They are often called “repot cards”.
Definition in Journalism
In journalism, a report is a verbal or written statement of a situation in detail to be published in a newspaper or periodical or be broadcast on TV. These reports are often called “news reports” and the conveyer of the message are “reporters” or “news reporters.”
Definition in Law
In the language of the law, a report is a detailed formal document stating a case as heard in court; especially, composed for publication.
Definition in Weaponry
In the formal language of weaponry, a report would be a sudden loud noise of a shot fired or an explosion.
Report as a Verb
As a verb, “to report” is letting someone know about some information or development that is new.
Use of the Term in Sentences:
- The news report on the increased environmental tax has been a welcome surprise.
- Report cards do not reflect the potential of a child, only the aptitude of his/her teachers.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- To furnish in writing an account of a speech, the proceedings at a meeting, the particulars of an occurrence, etc., for publication.
- To present one's self, as to a superior officer, or to one to whom service is due, and to be in readiness for orders or to do service; also, to give information, as of one's address, condition, etc.; as, the officer reported to the general for duty; to report weekly by letter.
- To bring back, as an answer; to announce in return; to relate, as what has been discovered by a person sent to examine, explore, or investigate; as, a messenger reports to his employer what he has seen or ascertained; the committee reported progress.
- To give an account of; to relate; to tell; to circulate publicly, as a story; as, in the common phrase, it is reported.
- To give an official account or statement of; as, a treasurer reports the receipts and expenditures.
- To return or repeat, as sound; to echo.
- To return or present as the result of an examination or consideration of any matter officially referred; as, the committee reported the bill witth amendments, or reported a new bill, or reported the results of an inquiry.
- To make minutes of, as a speech, or the doings of a public body; to write down from the lips of a speaker.
- To write an account of for publication, as in a newspaper; as, to report a public celebration or a horse race.
- To make a statement of the conduct of, especially in an unfavorable sense; as, to report a servant to his employer.
- That which is reported.
- An account or statement of the results of examination or inquiry made by request or direction; relation.
- A story or statement circulating by common talk; a rumor; hence, fame; repute; reputation.
- Sound; noise; as, the report of a pistol or cannon.
- An official statement of facts, verbal or written; especially, a statement in writing of proceedings and facts exhibited by an officer to his superiors; as, the reports of the heads af departments to Congress, of a master in chancery to the court, of committees to a legislative body, and the like.
- An account or statement of a judicial opinion or decision, or of case argued and determined in a court of law, chancery, etc.; also, in the plural, the volumes containing such reports; as, Coke's Reports.
- A sketch, or a fully written account, of a speech, debate, or the proceedings of a public meeting, legislative body, etc.
- Rapport; relation; connection; reference.
More from this Section
- Advertising media
Advertising media is the personal or non personal means of sending a message to a target ...
Quorum is the fixed minimum number of members of an organization or society who must be ...
A report is a formal document that states the business or event concerned in fine detail ...
- Free cash flow drives
Operations drive free cash flow. Specifically, value is added in operations through operating ...
- White space
White space refers to the amount of space on the slide that is not taken up with text ...