Respiration consists of two phases:
- Inspiration and
- Expiration - which are accomplished by the alternate increase and decrease of the capacity of the thoracic cavity. The rate varies between 16 and 20 per minute in normal resting patients and is faster in children and slower in the elderly.
Types of Respiration:
- Abdominal type of respiration - In babies and young children.
- Thoracic type of respiration - In the adult.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
1. Respiration- The act of respiring or breathing again, or catching one's breath.
- Relief from toil or suffering: rest.
- Interval; intermission.
- The act of resping or breathing; the act of taking in and giving out air; the aggregate of those processes bu which oxygen is introduced into the system, and carbon dioxide, or carbonic acid, removed.
Category: Medical & Health Sciences
Share it: Cite
Previous: ← Bronchopulmonary Segments
Next: Aorta →
More from this Section
- Vertebral canal
The spinal cord lies within a bony canal formed by adjacent vertebrae and soft tissue ...
- Visceral pleura
Visceral pleura is continuous with parietal pleura at the hilum of each lung where structures ...
- Medicare Advantage plans
Medicare Advantage plans refers private health plans that are part of Medicare that allow ...
The trachea bifurcates behind the arch of the aorta into the right and left principal ...
- Social Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder is the characterized by extreme anxiety about being judged by ...