Variable is a computer programming term which refers to a named memory location (storage) which contains data or values. The variable name is used as reference of storage value.
It is called variable because the represented values can change but the operation on the variable remains the same.
A variable is composed with a variable name and a data type. Data types determines the types of value such as integer, float, character etc. it can hold.
There are naming conventions of variable name that must be followed to compose a variable name.
int a, b c; a=b+c;
Variable is a condition or factor, usually in an experiment, that is capable of changing or being changed.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Liable to vary; too susceptible of change; mutable; fickle; unsteady; inconstant; as, the affections of men are variable; passions are variable.
- A quantity which may increase or decrease; a quantity which admits of an infinite number of values in the same expression; a variable quantity; as, in the equation x2 - y2 = R2, x and y are variables.
- A shifting wind, or one that varies in force.
- Those parts of the sea where a steady wind is not expected, especially the parts between the trade-wind belts.
More from this Section
In psychology, maturation is the processes of growth and development which are common ...
- Information processing
Information processing is a key term in cognitive psychology used to denote what happens ...
- Likert scale
The Likert Scale is a technique developed by the American social scientist, Rensis Likert, ...
- Bem Sex-Role Inventory (BSRI)
Bem Sex-Role Inventory (BSRI) means Bem’s measure of the extent to which an individual’s ...
The third major component of language is semantics, the meaning of words and sentences. ...