There are several reasons why organizations decide to downsize the workforce. Some of the factors most commonly mentioned include the following:
- Declining profits
- Business downturn or increased pressure from competitors
- Merging with another organization, resulting in duplication of efforts
- Introduction of new technology
- The need to reduce operating costs
- The desire to decrease levels of management
- Getting rid of employee “deadwood”
More from this Section
- Systemic discrimination
Systemic discrimination is a pattern of discrimination that on the surface appears neutral ...
- Equal Pay Act (1963)
The Equal Pay Act, an amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act designed to require equal ...
- Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) of 1988
Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) of 1988 means WARN requires ...
- Management Development
Management development is any attempt to improve managerial performance by imparting knowledge, ...
- Implied warranty
Implied warranty legally imposed on the seller; ensures that the seller owns the products ...