Generally all the activities of a bank is called banking. In a broader sense, banking is the summation of financial services like collection of deposits from people, collect cheques, grant loan, transfer money, invest fund, safeguards money for its customers, etc. Some
Definitions of banking are as follows:
- “Banking means the accepting, for the purpose of lending or invest of deposits or money from the public, repayable on demand or otherwise, and withdrawanable by cheque, draft, order or otherwise“.
Indian company act 1949,section5(1)
- “ Banking means the activities undertaken by banks: this includes personal banking and commercial banking, and corporate banking”.
Oxford dictionary of finance and banking
From the analysis of above definitions it can be said banking is the business of providing financial services to the private individuals, corporations, government agencies, business and industries.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
More from this Section
Securitization is the process of transformation of a bank loan into tradable securities. ...
- Semistrong-form efficient
Semistrong-form efficient— description of foreign exchange markets, implying that all ...
- Constant-money-growth-rate rule
Constant-money-growth-rate rule is a policy rule advocated by monetarists, whereby the ...
- Tax swapping
Tax swapping is a process in which lower-yielding securities may be sold at a loss that ...
- Point of sale debit cards (POS)
Point of sale debit cards(POS) is the electronic transfer of funds initiated from the ...