Generally all the activities of a bank is called banking. In a broader sense, banking is the summation of financial services like collection of deposits from people, collect cheques, grant loan, transfer money, invest fund, safeguards money for its customers, etc. Some
Definitions of banking are as follows:
- “Banking means the accepting, for the purpose of lending or invest of deposits or money from the public, repayable on demand or otherwise, and withdrawanable by cheque, draft, order or otherwise“.
Indian company act 1949,section5(1)
- “ Banking means the activities undertaken by banks: this includes personal banking and commercial banking, and corporate banking”.
Oxford dictionary of finance and banking
From the analysis of above definitions it can be said banking is the business of providing financial services to the private individuals, corporations, government agencies, business and industries.
More from this Section
- At-The-Money, In-The-Money & Out-of-The-Money
An option whose exercise price is the same as the spot price of the underlying currency is said to be at-the-money (ATM). An option that would be profitable ...
- Compensating balance
Compensating balance is a required minimum amount of funds that a firm receiving a loan must keep in a checking account at the lending bank.
- Scenario analysis
Analyzing the overall environment of investment situation without cost or it is a process of analyzing possible future events to scale of risk.
- Customer profitability analysis
Customer profitability analysis is a method for evaluating a customer’s loan request that takes into account all bank revenues and expenses
- The Foreign Exchange Market
The Foreign Exchange Market provides the physical and institutional structure through which the money of one country is exchanged for that of another country ...
- Excess reserves
Excess reserves is the reserves in excess of required reserves.
- Corporate Governance
Corporate governance is, in essence, the method by which an organization establishes order among the various stakeholders to ensure that decisions are made...