Generally all the activities of a bank is called banking. In a broader sense, banking is the summation of financial services like collection of deposits from people, collect cheques, grant loan, transfer money, invest fund, safeguards money for its customers, etc. Some
Definitions of banking are as follows:
- “Banking means the accepting, for the purpose of lending or invest of deposits or money from the public, repayable on demand or otherwise, and withdrawanable by cheque, draft, order or otherwise“.
Indian company act 1949,section5(1)
- “ Banking means the activities undertaken by banks: this includes personal banking and commercial banking, and corporate banking”.
Oxford dictionary of finance and banking
From the analysis of above definitions it can be said banking is the business of providing financial services to the private individuals, corporations, government agencies, business and industries.
More from this Section
- Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM)
Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM)— the means by which members of the EMS maintain their currency exchange rates within an agreed upon range with ...
- Clearing house interbank payment systems (CHIPS)
Clearing house interbank payment systems (CHIPS) is a New York-based computerized clearing system used by banks to settle interbank foreign ...
- Documentary credit irrevocable
Documentary credit irrevocable is an irrevocable documentary credit is a definite undertaking by the issuing bank that the provision for
- Non-business day
A non-business day means any Saturday or Sunday or any bank holiday (not being part holiday) and includes in respect of any bank premises
- Forward rate
Forward rate is the quoted price for foreign exchange to be delivered at a specified date in the future. For example, assume the 90-day forward rate for the Japanese ...
- Excess supply
Excess supply is a situation in which quantity supplied is greater than quantity demanded.
- Rule of 78s
Rule of 78s is a method for calculating rebates of interest payments to be returned to a customer if a loan is retired early.