Authority is the power or right to make decisions, to direct the work of others, to give orders, and enforce obedience. In management,it is usually distinguish between line authority and staff authority.
Authority is the right to commit resources (that is, to make decisions that commit the organization’s resources) or the legal right to give orders (to tell someone to do or not to do something).
Authority is the right to make decisions, to direct the work of others, and to give orders.
Authority is a manager tool: it can be described as the right to commit resources (that is, to make decisions that commit the organization's resources) or the legal right to give orders (to tell someone to do or not to do something). Authority is the "glue" that holds the organization together: it provides the means of command.
In an organization different types of authority are created by the relationships between individuals and between departments. There are three types of authority: (1) line authority, (2) staff authority, and (3) functional authority.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Government; the persons or the body exercising power or command; as, the local authorities of the States; the military authorities.
- The power derived from opinion, respect, or esteem; influence of character, office, or station, or mental or moral superiority, and the like; claim to be believed or obeyed; as, an historian of no authority; a magistrate of great authority.
- That which, or one who, is claimed or appealed to in support of opinions, actions, measures, etc.
- Testimony; witness.
- A precedent; a decision of a court, an official declaration, or an opinion, saying, or statement worthy to be taken as a precedent.
- A book containing such a statement or opinion, or the author of the book.
- Justification; warrant.
More from this Section
- Video Conferencing
Video conferencing allows people in the one location to communicate live with people another ...
- Group interview
Group interview is an interviewing method where a prospective employee is interviewed ...
- Cognitive ability testing
Cognitive ability testing is a testing instrument used during the selection process in ...
- Management Development
Management development is any attempt to improve managerial performance by imparting knowledge, ...
- Information guidelines
Guidelines issued by federal agencies charged with ensuring compliance with equal employment ...