Capital is production inputs consisting of technology, tools, information, and physical facilities.
Capital is the long-term funds contributed to a bank primarily by its owners, consisting mainly of stock, reserves, and retained earnings.
Capital is broadly defined, capital represents the tools which people use when they work, in order to make their work more productive and efficient. That means, capital is the total of tools, equipment, machinery, and buildings used to produce goods and services. Under capitalism, capital can also refer to a sum of money invested in a business in hopes of generating profit. In this case capital does not refer simply to money. Money by itself is not productive: but when it purchases drills, computers,forklifts, and the building to place them in it becomes productive.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Anything which can be used to increase one's power or influence.
- An imaginary line dividing a bastion, ravelin, or other work, into two equal parts.
- A chapter, or section, of a book.
- See Capital letter, under Capital, a.
- Having reference to, or involving, the forfeiture of the head or life; affecting life; punishable with death; as, capital trials; capital punishment.
- First in importance; chief; principal.
- Chief, in a political sense, as being the seat of the general government of a state or nation; as, Washington and Paris are capital cities.
- Of first rate quality; excellent; as, a capital speech or song.
- The head or uppermost member of a column, pilaster, etc. It consists generally of three parts, abacus, bell (or vase), and necking. See these terms, and Column.
- The seat of government; the chief city or town in a country; a metropolis.
- Money, property, or stock employed in trade, manufactures, etc.; the sum invested or lent, as distinguished from the income or interest. See Capital stock, under Capital, a.
More from this Section
- Operating instrument
Operating instrument is a variable that is very responsive to the central bank’s tools ...
- Smart card
Smart card is a stored-value card that contains a computer chip that lets it be loaded ...
Tariffs is the taxes on imported goods. ...
- Applied economics
Applied economics is the application of economic theories to the real world, formulated ...
- Middle management
Middle management is the second tier in the management pyramid that focuses on specific ...