Family is a set of people related by blood, marriage or some other agreed-upon relationship, or adoption, who share the primary responsibility for reproduction and caring for members of society.
Family is a group of individuals related to one another by blood ties, marriage, or adoption. Members of families form an economic unit, the adult members of which are responsible for the upbringing of children. While all societies involve some form of family, the form the family takes is widely variable. In modern industrial societies, the main family form is the nuclear family, although a variety of extended family relationships is also found.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The group comprising a husband and wife and their dependent children, constituting a fundamental unit in the organization of society.
- Those who descend from one common progenitor; a tribe, clan, or race; kindred; house; as, the human family; the family of Abraham; the father of a family.
- Course of descent; genealogy; line of ancestors; lineage.
- Honorable descent; noble or respectable stock; as, a man of family.
- A group of kindred or closely related individuals; as, a family of languages; a family of States; the chlorine family.
- A group of organisms, either animal or vegetable, related by certain points of resemblance in structure or development, more comprehensive than a genus, because it is usually based on fewer or less pronounced points of likeness. In zoology a family is less comprehesive than an order; in botany it is often considered the same thing as an order.
More from this Section
- Total war
Total war means Warfare in which all the resources of the modern state are committed, ...
- Social evolution
Social evolution means theories of cumulative sociocultural change that generally hold ...
- Commodity riot
- Political economy
Political economy means Marvin Harris’s term that refers to the structural components ...
- Property crime
Property crime is a crime such as theft that does not physically harm an individual. ...