The closest family unit of a person is termed as the Immediate Family which includes parents, siblings, spouse, and children. Relatives through marriage such as - father-in-law or mother-in-law can also be included here.
Immediate family is also referred to as first-degree relatives. Generally, those who are part of one’s everyday life are considered as one’s immediate family. Though this can be shifted or expanded according to policies of some organizations or workplaces.
Immediate Family Members
Your immediate family includes the following members:
- Children (adopted, half and step-children are also included)
There are two major ways to determine immediate and other family members. They are:
- Relation by blood: The lineage or parent is the same such as - siblings, children or grandchildren.
- Relation by marriage: A common bond by the marriage of one member of each family such as - with in-laws or stepchildren.
Explaining immediate family is hard. Since it changes a lot depending on the organizations using this term and also the purpose it is being used for.
Use of this Term in a Sentence
- Immediate family members receive preferences while getting immigrant visas in most countries.
- Immediate family members are often entitled to health benefits if another member of the family receives them through work.
More from this Section
- Symbolic ethnicity
Symbolic ethnicity is an ethnic identity that emphasizes concerns such as ethnic food ...
- Contributed Capital
Contributed Capital or Paid-in Capital is the entire amount of a firm's stock acquired ...
- Consumer finance company
Consumer finance company is a company that lends money to final consumers on their promissory ...
- Lodgement Instructions
Lodgement Instructions is the written instructions from a customer which constitutes the ...
- Core country
Core country is a country that occupies a central position on the world stage, such as ...