The closest family unit of a person is termed as the Immediate Family which includes parents, siblings, spouse, and children. Relatives through marriage such as - father-in-law or mother-in-law can also be included here.
Immediate family is also referred to as first-degree relatives. Generally, those who are part of one’s everyday life are considered as one’s immediate family. Though this can be shifted or expanded according to policies of some organizations or workplaces.
Immediate Family Members
Your immediate family includes the following members:
- Children (adopted, half and step-children are also included)
There are two major ways to determine immediate and other family members. They are:
- Relation by blood: The lineage or parent is the same such as - siblings, children or grandchildren.
- Relation by marriage: A common bond by the marriage of one member of each family such as - with in-laws or stepchildren.
Explaining immediate family is hard. Since it changes a lot depending on the organizations using this term and also the purpose it is being used for.
Use of this Term in a Sentence
- Immediate family members receive preferences while getting immigrant visas in most countries.
- Immediate family members are often entitled to health benefits if another member of the family receives them through work.
More from this Section
Legitimation is the ways in which an institution engenders acceptance, validity, or commitment ...
- High-deductible health plan (HDHP)
High-deductible health plan (HDHP) is a consumer-directed health plan that consists of ...
- Annual meeting
Annual meeting is a meeting of stockholder held once a year at which the managers of a ...
Disneyfication is the process whereby something (like religion) is transformed into a ...
- Hunting-and-gathering society
Hunting-and-gathering society is a preindustrial society in which people rely on whatever ...