The Pilot Study is a small-scale experiment or survey set up to see whether a larger one is worth attempting, often used to test the proposed methodology. This is a type of small-scale preliminary investigation that seeks to see if key elements of the main study.
Generally, it is a randomized yet controlled trial that is feasible. To prevent wasting time and money, the researchers must be confident in the essential procedures they will take when performing this sort of study.
These investigations are carried out to determine the viability of some key components of a larger study.
Advantages of Pilot Study
Conducting a pilot study provides some advantages to the researcher and helps better the research. The advantages are -
- Examining the likelihood of the study or research being effective
- Identifying issues in research design
- Identifying issues with sampling
- Examining the amount of time and money required for the research
- Increasing the expertise of the researcher
- Examining the research tools to ensure that they are in working order
- Reducing the concern or anxiety about undertaking a large-scale study
- Improving the efficiency of the researcher
While conducting a pilot study for research. Two things must be ensured to have more accuracy in the research results and they are -
- The sample size of the pilot study must be around 10% of that of the main research
- Never to include the samples which have already been taken/selected for the pilot study in the main study
Use of this Term in Sentences
- If you're only checking out some equipment and examining the viability of your study, most pilot studies don't take more than a few months to complete.
- A pilot study is an essential step in conducting most researches.
More from this Section
Mantra is a word or phrase repeated over and over as an aid to meditation. ...
- Dialectical behavior
Dialectical behavior refers a form of treatment in which the focus in on getting people ...
- Pecking order
Pecking order is the hierarchy of status relationships formed among farmyard hens by their ...
Lobotomy is a type of psychosurgery, where the frontal lobes are severed from the main ...
- Stranger anxiety
Stranger anxiety is a fear of strangers (or, more particularly, of unfamiliar faces) that ...