A Steering Committee is a type of special committee made up of Senior Executives which helps to steer the project by approving things that need to be done. It removes roadblocks and helps with anything that needs ensuring so that the project does not exceed the time limit, scope and budget.
The steering committee works as an advisory body within a project with their expertise in various aspects of a project such as management, direction, budget, time, scope, methods etc. The committee is responsible for steering the projects to completion.
Roles of a Steering Committee
Steering committees are distinct in the sense that they pull through with fulfilling the roles listed below -
- Making necessary decisions
- Advocating and advising
- Making strategic plans
- Giving advice and direct inputs related to the project
- Setting the project goals and scopes
- Developing strategy
- Providing expert inputs
- Developing governance and policies
- Resolving escalated issues
- Resolving conflicts among all the stakeholders
- Solving problems
- Approving and monitoring
- Adjusting the project plans according to the progress
- Selecting the core management team for the project
- Constantly monitoring the progress of a project
- Receiving status updates
- Identify, monitor, remove the risk associated with the project and business
- Monitoring progress
- Making necessary adjustments
Use of the Term in Sentences
- By keeping all aspects of a project well on track, the steering committee can greatly increase the overall value of the project as well as the business.
- Providing more accurate data of an ongoing project to the steering committee can greatly enhance the total output.
More from this Section
- Online Business
Any form of business transaction that occurs through the internet is considered an Online ...
Selection involves predicting which applicants will be successful if hired. Screening ...
- Living Trust
Living Trust is a legal instrument or policy made during a person's lifetime that entrusts ...
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is the standards and interpretations ...
- Private exchange
Private exchange is the secure Web site at which a company and its suppliers share all ...