Stroke is the distance, in inches, between the centerline of an engines crankshaft and the centerline of its connecting rod journal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- The result of effect of a striking; injury or affliction; soreness.
- The striking of the clock to tell the hour.
- A gentle, caressing touch or movement upon something; a stroking.
- A mark or dash in writing or printing; a line; the touch of a pen or pencil; as, an up stroke; a firm stroke.
- Hence, by extension, an addition or amandment to a written composition; a touch; as, to give some finishing strokes to an essay.
- A sudden attack of disease; especially, a fatal attack; a severe disaster; any affliction or calamity, especially a sudden one; as, a stroke of apoplexy; the stroke of death.
- A throb or beat, as of the heart.
- One of a series of beats or movements against a resisting medium, by means of which movement through or upon it is accomplished; as, the stroke of a bird's wing in flying, or an oar in rowing, of a skater, swimmer, etc.
- The rate of succession of stroke; as, a quick stroke.
- The oar nearest the stern of a boat, by which the other oars are guided; -- called also stroke oar.
- The rower who pulls the stroke oar; the strokesman.
- A powerful or sudden effort by which something is done, produced, or accomplished; also, something done or accomplished by such an effort; as, a stroke of genius; a stroke of business; a master stroke of policy.
- The movement, in either direction, of the piston plunger, piston rod, crosshead, etc., as of a steam engine or a pump, in which these parts have a reciprocating motion; as, the forward stroke of a piston; also, the entire distance passed through, as by a piston, in such a movement; as, the piston is at half stroke.
- Power; influence.
- To strike.
- To rib gently in one direction; especially, to pass the hand gently over by way of expressing kindness or tenderness; to caress; to soothe.
- To make smooth by rubbing.
- To give a finely fluted surface to.
- To row the stroke oar of; as, to stroke a boat.
More from this Section
- Water pump
Water pump is the pump that circulates coolant/antifreeze through the engine, radiator ...
- Towing capable
Towing capable is a vehicle with features and equipment that make it well-suited for pulling ...
- Forced induction
Forced induction is the forced compression of air into an engines cylinders by means of ...
- Evaporative control canister filter
Evaporative control canister filter is a filter on the evaporative control canister that ...
- Strut (MacPherson strut)
Strut (MacPherson strut) is a type of shock absorber that also serves as a suspension ...