Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Asset intensity
Asset intensity is the amount of assets needed to generatea given level of sales. ...
- Not-for-profit organizations
Not-for-profit organizations are the organization that has primary objectives such as ...
- Free-rein leadership
Free-rein leadership is the management style of leaders who believe in minimal supervision ...
- Strategic Alliances
Contractual partnerships because the companies involved do not take an equity position ...
- Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)
Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) is the organization that interprets and modifies ...