Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
A special form of licensing is franchising, which allows the franchisee to sell highly ...
- Performing stage
The fourth stage of group development is performing. The group structure is in place and ...
- Low-context culture
Low-context culture is the society in which communication tends to rely on explicit written ...
- Job satisfaction
Job satisfaction refers to an employee’s general attitude toward his or her job. Although ...
- Utilitarian approach
judging the appropriateness of a particular action based on a goal to provide the greatest ...