Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Stated goals
Official statements of what an organization says-and what it wants its stakeholders to ...
- Middle managers
In an organization Middle managers are those found between the lowest and top levels of ...
- Functional departmentalization
Functional departmentalization refers groups activities under the major headings that ...
- Collective Bargaining
Collective Bargaining is the process through which representatives of management and the ...
- Organizational communication
Organizational communication- all the patterns, networks, and systems of communication ...