Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Affirmative action program
Affirmative action program begun and carried out by a business to increase the number ...
- Adverse Selection
The second major reason that agency costs are incurred is known as adverse-selection which ...
- Agency Theory
There is a separation of the owners (principals) and the managers (agents) of a firm, ...
- Diagonal communication
Diagonal communication is a communication that cuts across work areas and organizational ...
- Mature industry strategies
Strategies used by firms competing in markets where the growth rate of that market from ...