Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Sole proprietorship
Sole proprietorship is the simplest form of business entity which refers to a form of ...
- Risk reduction
A risk management strategy of using loss prevention programs and other management programs ...
- Person marketing
Person marketing is the use of efforts designed to attract the attention, interest, and ...
Economics is the social science that analyzes the choices people and governments make ...
- Expansionary monetary policy
Expansionary monetary policy increases the money supply in an effort to cut the cost of ...