Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Human relations view of conflict
The view that conflict is a natural and inevitable outcome in any group and need not be ...
- Reward power
The ability to influence and direct others that comes from being able to confer rewards ...
- Fragmented business
Skills in focused market segments, typically geographic, the ability to respond quickly ...
- Classical approach
Classical approach emphasized rationality and making organizations and workers as efficient ...
- Management support systems
Management support systems are the information systems that are designed to provide support ...