Communication is the transfer and understanding of meaning. Note the emphasis on the transfer of meaning: this means that if information or ideas have not been conveyed, communication hasn’t taken place.
The speaker who isn’t heard or the writer whose materials aren’t read hasn’t communicated.
Communication is the meaningful exchange of information through messages.
Communication– the transfer of information, ideas and emotions between individuals, between groups or between individuals and groups.
There are four broad categories, under which can be grouped more specific types of communication. The broad categories are speech, writing, images, and the audible signal.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence.
- Association; company.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper.
- A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you.
More from this Section
- Shareholders or stockholders
Shareholders or stockholders are a corporation’s owners but frequently not the individuals ...
- Social justice approach
judging the appropriateness of a particular action based on equity, fairness and impartiality ...
- Category manager
Category manager is a person who oversees an entire group of products and assumes profit ...
- Fragmented industry
A fragmented industry is one in which no firm has a significant market share and can strongly ...
Bylaws means internal rules that govern the general operation of a corporation. ...