Approach is a step of selling process where a salesperson meets the customer for the first time.
During the approach step, the salesperson should know how to meet and greet the buyer and get the relationship off to a good start. This step involves the salesperson’s appearance, opening lines, and follow-up remarks. The opening lines should be positive to build goodwill from the outset. This opening might be followed by some key questions to learn more about the customer’s needs or by showing a display or sample to attract the buyer’s attention and curiosity. As in all stages of the selling process, listening toe the customer is crucial.
Approach is the third step in the selling process: the salesperson makes actual contact with the prospect and prepares to deliver a sales presentation.
Webster Dictionary Meaning
- To draw near, in a figurative sense; to make advances; to approximate; as, he approaches to the character of the ablest statesman.
- The act of drawing near; a coming or advancing near.
- A access, or opportunity of drawing near.
- Movements to gain favor; advances.
- A way, passage, or avenue by which a place or buildings can be approached; an access.
- The advanced works, trenches, or covered roads made by besiegers in their advances toward a fortress or military post.
- See Approaching.
- To come near to in place, time, or character; to draw nearer to; as, to approach the city; to approach my cabin; he approached the age of manhood.
- To take approaches to.
More from this Section
- Factory outlet
Factory outlet is an off-price retailing operation that is owned and operated by a manufacturer ...
- Trade allowance
A discount a manufacturer gives retailers and wholesalers for performing certain functions ...
- Learning theory
Learning theory means a theory that teaches marketers that they can build demand for a ...
- Total market demand
Total market demand refers to the total volume that would be bought by a defined consumer ...
- Direct product profitability (DDP)
Direct product profitability (DDP) is a way of measuring a product’s handling costs ...